Saturday, January 15, 2011

Patterns found

Excuse my lack of ability to format this blog so that the descriptions are with the picture that they're referencing because this blogging platform isn't the greatest at doing a wysiwyg (what you see is what you get... i do believe thats an acronym?)

In anycase, here are all of the patterned objects that I encountered on my way to run errands on friday afternoon. Starting from my dorm, I noticed the stripes that the lights made and I thought that was a pretty cool way to start (but of course Blogger posted all of my photos in backwards order...)

Next, I noticed a bench with the striped metal seat that made an interesting pattern with the white snow.

After I saw a tree with interesting bark.

While walking by the PRB (Physics Research Building, for those not familiar), I noticed these tire tracks/green stripes in the snow that I thought were pretty cool.

Across from these tracks, I saw this row of bike racks next to Boyd Lab. I found their repetition interesting, especially when viewed at the right angles.

These next photos are of the inside and outside of Scott Lab, the mechanical engineering building
I found the contrast between the corrugated metal walls with the glass windows on the outside and the alternating pattern that they made. To mee it has the essence of a very industrial looking 'cool'

The inside has the same feel, although mostly glass with the repeating larger metal strips and the oval shaped holes.

The repeating arches on the side of the W18th building are interesting as well. To me they always seem like they're playing tricks on my eyes, because they look flat, but with the proper shading to make it look 3D.

I like the repetition of the poles and barrels, especially at an angle.


The next three patterns are from Thompson library (two from the outside and one on the inside. Thompson has many interesting patterns when you're on the look out. The way the stairs meet the green bannister is interesting as well as the detailing on the outside.

This example of brick from the faculty club (I think...) I found especially interesting because it took advantage of many different shades of bricka and created and interesting balance and speckling of the frame that I chose.

The brickwork on the Faux-val (that's the south oval) was cool to see because of the combination of the two patterns that were in the photo.


Chain link fence: 'nuff said. they're everywhere, but they're still cool to look at when you take the time

While not necessarily regular or in large enough supply, the white lines on the awning (?) and the icicles that hung from it, I found both particularly interesting, because perhaps they were more of a natural pattern than some of the others.

I saw this circle crate attached to someone's bike. Its repeating of the simple shape was interesting due to its simplicity and fun color.

i saw these buttresses (at least that's what I assume they are. They were pretty cool to see because I don't normally see them anywhere. Their repetition and contrast with the texture of the brick was interesting to see.


The roof on this church on woodruff is one of my favorite photos/patterns that I took for this assignment. I love the gradient and randomness that the snow creates across the roof and as well as the texture of the edges of the little compartments on the roof.

























No comments:

Post a Comment