Sunday, January 30, 2011

cr04

This past week we talked about accessibilty as well as did our scavenger hunt for various things around campus. I found the accessiblilty lecture very interesting and as a shorter than average height person, where things aren't always made to be easy for me to interact with, I can't even imagine how hard it must be for someone who is confined to a wheelchair or has other physical disabilities.

Many times being short I have to be creative when trying to reach something off a high shelf or grabbing a hanger from a high rack in a store, although I used to watch "Little People, Big World" a Tv show of a family of little people who went through their every day lives trying to manage in a world that wasn't made for them. One of the things that really struck me was that during one episode when they were planning renovations for their home and the city wouldn't allow them to make a railing that was a comfortable size for them because it wasn't up to the city's code.

I did not particularly enjoy the scavenger hunt because I found it difficult to think of creative ways to capture interesting aspects of certain buildings on campus in sub-freezing temperatures. Not only that, but the SEL and math tower are two of the less interesting buildings on campus. Why not learn about the architect of Scott lab (I must admit, I'm a bit biased because I actually spend time in Scott, but the glass and metal combination is really cool... same with the glass bridge). I thought the scavenger hunt would be more smaller clues rather then just a few more involved clues (having to create a composition with large buildings sometimes proved challenging).

No comments:

Post a Comment