Tuesday, February 8, 2011

rr06

A question of design:

The story is always the same: we want one thing and alienate everything else to get it.
Economic success? Great! let's kill the environment.
Children's toys? Let's put toxic chemicals in them.

In the State of California, in all of the little trinket shops there are signs everywhere saying that the state of california says that the certain product contains chemicals known to cause cancer.

Why are they still made?
and I'm sure those trinkets are sold in other states as well, without warning.

I've read this chapter before, but it just really makes me paranoid.

why being less bad is no good:
Little particles of toxins collect and become large areas of little particles of toxins.

regulation is a design failure (61)

Being less bad isn't good because people and corporations will settle for not being 'the worst.' The earth is going to continue to deteriorate unless we can change our ways to become "100% good" (67),

I find this approach to be true, especially in my classes. I could be taking a math class and tell myself that an 80% would be good on my quizzes and boom! I get 80%, but I wouldn't get any better unless I change my attitude to strive for 100%, so then maybe I'll get a 90% or 95%, which is of course much better than an 80%.

eco-effectiveness:

There is a lot of thought put into making things eco-friendly, but do they actually become eco-friendly?
Does using these different materials require more chemicals and can the materials be recycled again? downcycled?

As a consumer in america, I am often swayed by the 'green' and 'ecofriendly' tag that products can have. "Oh, they say it it must be true"

Apparently not so. Soy based inks and earth-friendly materials may require carcinogens for their production.
This book, although made of plastic, is infinitely recyclable and can be used for better and lesser things in its future life, going cradle to cradle, rather than cradle to grave (although if this book were to be thrown out, then it wouldn't be very eco friendly because plastic doesn't biodegrade very easily).

As the Authors said, there are many gives and takes with the design of things and many times we get in our own ways when trying to make a change (legislation against cherry trees! c'mon!).

I thought It was pretty cool that Herman Miller created their factory to be very nature focused (also I recently sat in a Aeron chair... very comfortable and crazy that they cost anywhere from ~$600- $900...)

Again, another thought provoking chapter that makes me paranoid of the products that I use everyday. It is seriously about to make me into a hypochondriac thinking i have cancer all the time...

No comments:

Post a Comment